Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Bhagavad-Gita Revisited

The last time I read The Bhagavad-Gita I literally threw the book across the room before I could finish it, not that I would have back then. This time around I didn't finish The Bhagavad-Gita not because of extreme displeasure or because of a great lack of interest - I didn't finish The Bhagavad-Gita this time around because of a life altering event, which I will not go into details, happened to me over spring break.

This life altering experience shook me to the depths of my being. I was lost and did not know if there was much left of me that was well me. Believe it or not The Bhagavad-Gita helped me through it and allowed me to see that this life altering event took place, partially, because I was not honoring and performing my sacred duty.

The teachings in this book were so inspiring and informative that I had to put the book down to contemplate what I read and how I could incorporate its timeless wisdom into my life. Soon I shall pick up The Bhagavad-Gita again but not before I am ready.

I must admit that had this life altering event not occurred I might have thrown this book across the room again instead of gently setting it down in order to be read again. I do not think that I was ready for its knowledge and wisdom. Like Arjuna before me - my world had to be shattered in order to be receptive to what Lord Krishna has to say and even then I found myself debating and arguing his teachings until I received both minor and major epiphanies which allowed me to continue reading.

In the near future I can definitely see my copy of this book falling apart for I do intend to travel with this book and read it frequently in order to pick up what I missed from each of the previous readings.

I often hear people talk about finding books or books finding them when they need them the most and I always thought it was such nonsense - well I needed a book with timeless wisdom in order to help see me through a difficult time over spring break and I didn't find The Bhagavad-Gita it found me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment