Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Revisiting The Bhagavad-Gita

Hello class - today I am going to start rereading The Bhagavad-Gita and I am curious to see if I like it better this time around - I last read it several years ago when I was a young punk in desperate need of seasoning.

Well I am still young and still in need of seasoning but I don't think that I am a young punk, though I am sure some of the older generation would disagree with that assessment!

I must admit that I don't remember much from the last time I read The Bhagavad-Gita I only barely made it through the first chapter and I most definitely remember that I could not stand it.

What I do remember is that The Bhagavad-Gita reminded me of most was reading The Old Testament of the bible, not that there is anything wrong with reading The Old Testament of course and there is a lot of timeless wisdom in the bible if one knows to look for it and I assume that there is a lot of timeless wisdom in The Bhagavad-Gita as well.

Well this time around I am older, hopefully a little wiser though at times I do have my doubts, more patient, and more experienced at reading older texts.

I am hopeful that I will be able to finish reading the entire book without setting it down so that it can gather a lot of dust and oh so slowly disintegrate in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the re-read. Do you know about this edition of the Gita?

    http://www.YogaVidya.com/gita.html

    ReplyDelete