Wednesday, April 28, 2010

About Silence - Ah the Irony

I thought that it was rather ironic that Nick gave his presentation about silence being a disappearing trait.

I found that ironic because Doug's baby was making cute noises in the background constantly distracting and amusingly interrupting Nick.

If I didn't know any better I would have thought that that was prearranged by Doug and Nick or potentially between Doug and our class director.

Nick had said that the mystery of silence is that it is through silence it is the only way to know epiphanies. I would have to agree with that assessment.

After all through several of our texts that we have read in class it seemed as though there was a moment when all other moments blended into each other.

And one of the characters in the story quietly reflected on all the moments that had gone before
and then suddenly have a brilliant flash of revelation and either had an Ah epiphany or an epiphany of the Oh variety.

Nick did say one thing that I did not quite agree on. He had said that silence is the absence of negative distraction.

But what if you are used to negative distraction and then all of a sudden what you had deemed to be a negative distraction had vanished and in its place there was true silence.

Couldn't that be deemed to be a negative distraction in and of itself?

I am used to writing my papers with the television on, my strategically located fans on high, and on occasion with the radio or a cd on, or also on occasion with a youtube video playing in the background.

But take these away and I know that I would find myself distracted by silence itself - which in turn would thus classify silence as a negative distraction.

Either that or it would allow me to have a minor epiphany to let me know that I need what others would classify as negative distractions as positive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment