Monday, April 5, 2010

A Brief Entry On Mentors In The Bhagavad Gita And Hamlet

In the Bhagavad Gita and Hamlet there is a character who acts as a mentor to the troubled hero in each story.

In the Bhagavad Gita that role is portrayed by the divine being Krishna and he is consoling Arjuna.

In Hamlet the role of a mentor is portrayed by Hamlets deceased father in the form of a ghost. Both Hamlet and Arjuna display some reservations as to the validity of the claims that both Krishna and the ghost make and struggle to come to terms with the advise and counsel that they offer.

Hamlet struggles to accept the claim that the ghost is actually his father and in a similar way Arjuna questions whether of not Krishna was in fact a divine being instead of just his chariot driver.

Both Arjuna and the ghost plunge Hamlet and Arjuna into a world of doubt and confusion as they dispense their knowledge to their unwitting students.

Oh well I have to get ready to leave for class. I did mention that this would be a brief posting and I meant it. I wonder where students find the time to write such wonderful blogs? I certainly have very little time to post blog entries. Between working close to 40 hours a week, going to school full time, and being a family man I guess my situation is a bit different than most students but still I do wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment